Information for Edmonton Public Schools' Staff
HomeEnglish as a Second LanguageHomestay ProgramAbout Edmonton Public SchoolsOur LocationCurriculum, Courses and ProgramsProgram ChoiceUniversity Preparation or Bridge ProgramSchool ProfilesSummer Courses and ProgramsHow To ApplyTutition and FeesStudent Health CostInformation for International ParentsLegalization and Revalidation of Report CardsOur MissionInformation For District StaffFAQsContact Us

International Students

International students are those who are not Canadian citizens, permanent residents or Canadian landed immigrants. Their parents do not reside in Canada. Edmonton Public Schools has an established application and registration process for international students, including full payment of fees. Schools are advised that this process must be completed, and status determined, prior to discussing the enrolment of an international student at a school.


International students must apply to join the International Student Program by completing an Edmonton Public Schools' International Student Program application form. They can obtain a form on this website or by contacting International Programs at the Centre for Education at 429-8251 or by e-mailing Applicants must pay a board-approved tuition fee for the duration of their study period. These fees cover all educational programming costs, book rentals, and student union fees. Schools pay Alberta Education writing fees for diploma exams out of these fees. As well if the student is accepted into the program, a letter of acceptance to Edmonton Public Schools is provided by International Programs and the student must apply for a study permit if they intend to study for longer than a 6 month period of study.

Choice of School

In general, international students may attend the school of their choice if the school is able to program for them. However, should they require English as a Second Language, they are referred to a school with English language learning support. Once a student is enrolled in a district school, school staff determine from the student's transcripts what grade level is most appropriate, and which courses are required. As with any other student, schools are responsible for monitoring student progress and attendance and reporting to parents regularly on achievement. For international students residing with families in the district's Homestay program, student progress reports are to be provided to the Homestay families as well as to the students' own parents.

Registering an International Student at Your School

When a student arrives in Edmonton they are required to meet with staff at Student Services where they are given a document called a School Authorization. This document includes the Edmonton Public Schools' identification number. The student presents the School Authorization to the school they are accepted to attend. When the student arrives at the school, please do not assign a new identification number. Students need to supply a copy of the following documents to the school:

  • The acceptance letter accepting the student to the district
  • The School Authorization form
  • The Study Permit

Schools are responsible for entering the following information in PowerSchool:

  • The residency code F1 and the Enrollment Type 416
  • The citizenship information: 5 Temporary Resident International Student
  • Authorization Expiry Date on the Province Page

District staff can access more information on Staffroom, including:

  • A list of District staff responsible for the International Student and Homestay Programs
  • Information on Study Permits, Visa Requirements, Letters of Acceptance, Custodianship, and what international student fees cover
  • Information on registering and coding international students
  • Information on exchange students
  • Information on Non-Resident Canadian students
  • Information on Parents with a Work or Study Permit

To access this information go on to Staffroom under Publications, then International Student Information, and click on the International Student Information Handbook link.

Back To Top

Edmonton Public Schools' Privacy Statement

Edmonton Public Schools