Edmonton Public Schools' University Preparation or Bridge Program offers pre-university preparation for students to gain entry into college or university. The programs are for international students who have completed or almost completed their high school graduation requirements and are designed to assist students in meeting admission requirements for post-secondary education in Alberta and all other provinces in Canada. The program offers students opportunities to acquire further English language proficiency in academic settings, as well as foundational skills for success in university life.
Students applying to the University Preparation or Bridge Program must:
- Have successfully completed or almost completed senior high school in their country
- Provide academic records for their high school coursework
- Provide a letter from their school principal testifying to their demonstrated excellent attendance, comportment, citizenship and leadership
- Demonstrate at least an intermediate level of English language proficiency
- Undergo a language assessment to determine ESL proficiency and provide this score with application
Post-secondary Entrance Requirements
Universities and post-secondary institutions across Canada require international students to demonstrate English language proficiency by the submission of competitive grades in one of the accepted English as a second language tests, such as TOEFL, MELAB, CAEL, or ILETS. Entrance is also based on:
- Academic marks
- Courses taken in grade 12
- Portfolio of student work if applicable
Support for University Acceptance
Students who apply and successfully meet all University Preparation or Bridge Program application requirements can receive a Letter of Intent to attend the University of Alberta.
Details on Bridge/University Preparation Program
Cost: Regular International Student tuition fees apply.
Intakes: September and February
Courses offered include:
- ESL and TOEFL Preparation
- Conversational English
- Study Skills including Research, Writing and Independent Learning
- Math 30
- English 30
- Social Studies 30
- Sciences - Physics, Chemistry and Biology - 30 level
The University Preparation or Bridge Program is available at a few select Edmonton Public Schools including Queen Elizabeth School.
Please click here for further information on the University Preparation or Bridge Program offered by Queen Elizabeth School, under the heading Advanced University Credit.
Edmonton Public Schools' Privacy Statement
Back To Top